Saturday, January 3, 2009

post card #1

Here is a post card I sent to myself from Asheville, NC, dated August 20, 2006. The photograph the post card is based on is circa 1910 (and (c) The Biltmore Company.)

There's not too much to this card, but I was interested in it because it shows be what the Biltmore Estate looked like about 100 years ago. Should I wish to use the house and grounds as a location in a novel, I have a post card that shows what the place looked like. It doesn't matter if I had bought this on eBay or another auction site, I would still have an image to use as reference for details to make my story more authentic. Of course, it helps that I have been here (too many times) so I know what it is like to walk in the grass.

On the back of this card I have written "5 of 12" so I know that I mailed myself at least 12 cards from this trip to the house. The writing on the back reads: "House looks much the same now as it did when this photo was taken. How do I know? I was there when this one was taken also." 

I always sign the card under a different name and try to write a few lines to inspire myself after I get home as well as give the employees in the post office an interesting card to read. I know I would be reading post cards if I worked in the post office.


No comments:

Post a Comment